Tuesday 27 March 2012

Week 4

Week 4 is done! I have reached the half way mark! I can now run (jog, shuffle, stumble) for 16 minutes of the core 20 minute workout. I have an impressive (in my book anyhow) 4 week history of sticking doggedly to the c25k routine as designed by Zen Labs. The commitment is there for sure. Yet, tonight, my usual post run euphoria has skipped out on me. In it's place is a touch of apprehension with a fringe of self doubt.

Our usual walking slot discussion (I don't 'do' talking and running at the same time) centres around the plan. What is in the immediate future and how we may need to lengthen the route etc. I think it's fair to say that the onset of my current emotional state could be pinpointed almost exactly to the second that Abbie mentioned that by the end of next week we would be running 2 miles. Her concern was simply that we needed to measure the distance to ensure that we did it in the allotted time. My concern, probably more accurately described as terror, was two fold... 1) Can I really run 2 miles without stopping? and 2) I'm going as fast as I can for pity's sake!

Now I am here, staring at the screen, wishing I could write something more inspirational. Wishing that I could feel a smidge of the certainty I felt just a week ago about achieving my goal. Instead, I will settle for the deal I made with myself the night I started.... I decided that if I was opting in to this then there would be no opting out. No giving up. No matter what.

The good news is that I learned some new things this week. I learned that it's easier to run in sunshine than in darkness and that my legs keep going way beyond what I would have thought possible before. So with a great weather forecast ahead for the week, I am going to pray that the leg reserves are even deeper than I have found to date.

Cervantes said that valour lies just halfway between rashness and cowardice.  So.... here's to halfway!

1 comment:

  1. congrats on half way point! and congrats on welcoming apprenhension and self-doubt in and then showing them the door!

    ReplyDelete