Thursday 12 April 2012

Week 6

Another week has flown by. Well, technically a week and 2 days but I'm not splitting hairs on this one. The fact that it has taken me an extra two days to complete Week 6 could be viewed as a blemish on my otherwise perfect (if I do say so myself) record. The reality is that I ran 2.25miles tonight despite having been nursing a stiff neck and shoulders for the last few days, which, I think, blows that bad mark right off the record and out of the park.

The week started easy. A nice alternating cycle of 3 running sections & walking sections was complimented by a change in scenery as we were visiting relatives for the holidays. The route was alot less hilly which was a welcome break from my normal run and aside from nearly being sucked into the slipstream of a few cheeky motorists there were no hitches.

Unfortunately Sunday morning dawned and it felt like the Easter Bunny had done a quick rendition of Riverdance on my back whilst depositing my 5 yr old's egg. I could hardly move my neck and my shoulders were like a board. Not the first time this has happened to me, it must be said, but the first time in a long time and completely unexpected. After painkillers and hotwater bottles and crossed fingers failed me, I had to concede defeat and cancel the Sunday run.

Tuesday sped around and feeling alot better I tentatively laced up to go for my first ever run with my husband. Two mile - long runs separated by a brief walk. My perseverance was rewarded when I caught more than one glimpse of surprise on his face. Adrian is not easily impressed! I missed my usual running partner though. I realised that Abbie's chirpy nature, funny one - liners and general motivation really do make a big difference to me.

Week 6 Day 3 dawned this morning with another belter of a sore neck. I really can't describe how disappointed I was. Already 2 days behind, (and after Abbie pointed out that it was my neck, not my legs) I decided I'd have to give it a go. 2.25miles later at an average of 11miles an hour and the neck was no worse.

Alternating running and walking is now over in the program. Next week is 3 2.5mile runs. Somehow, I have graduated into the realm of being an actual 'runner'. What's more is I feel like one. I am becoming increasingly aware of times and I have my sights set on a 4 mile run (6.5k) in May. There is absolutely no room for any more delays. I must complete the C25k programme in 2 weeks and build the extra 1.5k in the following fortnight if I'm going to be ready.

Not bad for a girl that could hardly run for a minute only 6 weeks ago eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment