Thursday 26 April 2012

Week 7

'Better late than never' or so the saying goes. I'm not entirely sure that I concur but I'm here at least, at the end of week 7. I can now run 2.5 miles without stopping, at roughly 11+ minutes per mile.

I had my first (and hopefully only) running related injury, a pulled calf muscle, that forced me to rest for 3 days. This seriously frustrated me as I have selected the event that I would like to participate in and am starting to feel the pressure. The event, a 4 mile run through a local wildlife park after hours is 4 miles (6.5k) as opposed to the 5k that I am building towards. Having canvassed the running scene here in Cork, it's definitely the event that most appeals to me, despite the fact that it's going to add an extra bit in the distance. With the event date being the middle of May (eeeek...just over 2 weeks!) I really need to get on with achieving the 5k mark with no more delays. I'm hoping pure adrenalin will carry me that bit further on the day!

So, Week 7's progression as follows: Day 1... 2.5 miles, not easy or pretty but done. Day 2...1.5 miles and Ouch!...rest up for 3 days. Day 2 (take 2) 2.5 miles again...done! Day 3 completed, another 2.5 miles done and I am left with certain knowledge that week 8 is going to be tough. Abbie has expressed a strong opinion that we should do another couple of 2.5 mile runs before we move on to week 8. I am inclined to agree but feeling the time constraint I also would like to push on.

With our burgeoning spring weather having retreated back from whence it came and been replaced by massive hail showers , not to mention the arrival of chickenpox into the household and the unscheduled departure of my husband for 3 weeks work at sea, it's going to be tricky enough to get out this week. But hang on a sec, this is the moment. This is what the journey is about. It's not about what's easy, convenient or fits in nice and tidy into the schedule. It's about 'Opting in'. It's about doing something different and I am up for the challenge.

Next blog post will be post 5k run!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog!!! I am on week 4 of the program and have enjoyed reading your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dena! Thanks for kind comments! I am absolutely loving my new found stamina and self belief. Only 4 weeks till you're a 5k runner, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. incorrect, the phrase is "better late than pregnant" and to regugitate another coined phrase, "the hardest part of running a marathon ( or a 5k run in this case...) is the first step". Take these words of wisdom from a post preganancy tummy holder who has only a funsize pack of maltesers and cheap bottle of red wine to keep her company whilst sitting on her sofa of discontent and downright opting out-ed-ness.
    by the by: poleze blog before run, .

    ReplyDelete